This is a pretty solid deal for the Sixers. The 6'11 Mike Muscala is their Ersan Ilyasova replacement. He also comes with an expiring contract that will give the Sixers even more money to play with next summer.
However, according to Keith Pompey, the trade cannot be made official yet because the Sixers are "working on another move."
Hmmmmmmmmmm 🤔🤔 💡
This is quite possibly the most boring sports night of the entire calendar year, so let's have some fun with this.
Our proposed deal...
Minnesota receives: G/F Robert Covington, G Jerryd Bayless and the Miami 2021 unprotected first round pick
Philadelphia receives: G/F Jimmy Butler
This deal works money wise, and if you connect some dots, it makes a lot of sense for both teams.
1. Butler wants out of Minnesota in the worst way.
2. If the rumors of Butler and KAT not getting along are true, Minnesota would be better off trading Butler now and actually getting something for him, rather than ruin their locker room and then get nothing when he leaves next summer. The Wolves would acquire a major asset in the 2021 pick.
3. Tom Thiboudeau loves Butler, but he loves defense just as much. He can be sold on this deal because he gets a first team all-NBA defender.
4. The Sixers get a "star" without giving up Fultz or Dario, and without the financial commitment. If Butler is some kind of locker room cancer, they can say goodbye after this season.
5. The Sixers become the favorites to represent the Eastern Conference in the NBA finals.
I'm not sure what Keith Pompey's cryptic tweet exactly meant. It could be something as simple as the Sixers are waiving Jerryd Bayless, but I figured this would be more fun.
This is obviously just a mock trade. I'm not trying to come off as Bobby Marks or Marc Stein here, I'm just bored on a Thursday night in July with no sports.
This deal, at least on the surface, makes a lot of sense for both teams.